Sunday, January 12, 2014

walks, journeys, and adventures

During winter break we took several walks. Weather conditions varied but mainly it was quite refreshing. At the nearby state park we enjoyed the eerie effects of a frozen flood- sheets of ice suspended in the air, clinging to bushes and tree trunks. I did not bring my camera during that walk or any of the following.



Snow fell in copious amounts but only after the holidays. My love was already back at work when Thijs gave Lauren, my mom, and me a grand tour of the beautiful campus of his university. With fresh snow and the holiday decorations still up, it was quite the fairy-tale walk. The best part of it was however to see how much my son is at home in the department of his choice.


Our girls shared their stories of classes and other big city activities and I think that both of them have made their choices equally well. Which is a good feeling- after all, that is what we wanted for them. To be able to follow their passions and dreams, whatever they are and will be.


And although I really enjoyed the break and the company, I was also happy to be back at work, following one of my own passions. I am grateful to still have a (unfortunately part-time) job. On the other hand, it being part-time gives me opportunity to explore some of my other passions a bit more.


Cooking may not be my real passion but eating and baking definitely are, and I got two books for Christmas to help me in pursuit of the yummiest and healthiest way to do that. Mediterranean Harvest is so full of mouth watering recipes that I am not even sure where to start.



The bread book Tartine #3 tells me exactly where to start (namely, with a starter...) but it sort of scares me. I am not sure that I can be organized and diligent enough to follow the process. Of course I am going to try it anyway, and I hope to one day show you a picture like the one above, and then from my own home-made grainy goodness.

For now, I stuck with familiar adventures (see below).



My mom definitely had her own travel adventures this time- you think you've had everything possible happen to you in that respect and then of course you are proven wrong. She did not get on her first flight out of here due to the pilot not showing up, and had to be happy that she could be re-routed...four days later! Of course, her suitcase had it's own journey and they were reunited only when she was finally home.


Spending extra time with us was hopefully not too bad (I certainly enjoyed it) and gave her opportunity to (almost) finish a book and to be brave enough to have Lucy on her lap!



No comments:

Post a Comment