Monday, May 20, 2013

Rome at home

Confession: my kitchen is not really all that small (I wrote this yesterday). Definitely not in comparison to some Italian kitchens I have seen, and larger than all my other kitchens (I think) apart from the one in our last home. And, like my sister-in-law Sabine once said, the space is there, the lay-out is just not great (euphemistically speaking).



I have been dreaming about home-made pasta lately. Like the ultimate food experience I had at Francesco's two summers ago. In the heart of Rome, that helps of course. But still. I decided that I would spend my birthday-money on a hand-crank pasta machine (thanks mom!!).


Thijs and I made linguini  and learned a lot from our first trial. The recipe came from the book 'Rome at Home', by Suzanne Dunaway.    


I made a fresh tomato/sage/onion/garlic sauce with this (lately I am going for more and more handmade/fresh/from scratch) and of course Rosemary Filoncino from the book 'No need to knead' by the same author.


My love made the anti-pasti salad which we ate on the side because well, that's how we do it in my home country (the Netherlands).

For tonight we have pizza on the menu because I am just in the spirit, although I know that I can never measure up to Bafetta, which was my love's favorite restaurant.


The Fontana di Trevi is enormously baroque of course but definitely a magical place at night. If you can see it through the crowds.

Just doing a little traveling in my mind- and with my cooking/baking. Absolutely not according to any weight-loss plan I guess, although, isn't the Mediterranean diet the healthiest?

1 comment: