Saturday, May 4, 2013

goddess of the garden...

I am not. I definitely take a very hands-off approach when it comes to yard work. Which of course results in my love having to take a very hands-on approach.


And as I probably have said before, I just don't see the point of grass. Lawn. I'm sure our kids don't see the point either when they have to mow it. I see the point of grass as a space for animals to roam and feed. Prairie. Meadows. But who came up with this idea of a well-manicured lawn for residential use? I'd like to have a word or two with this person. I imagine this was a British invention?


Now trees, that's a whole n'other story.

Today will be a slow day. After a week of abstinence from my daily (evening) glass of wine, I am rewarded with a nice migraine for breaking 'fast' so to speak last night. Not copacetic.


The girls are on the home stretch (is that the right expression?) and working hard to end their high school career maintaining their amazing grades. They do not lack for work ethic, my kids.


For the first summer in 5 years, Thijs will not work for his master gardener employer, who died earlier this spring. A very special man. We are lucky to have had him in Thijs's live, and what better way to remember him by then the beautiful ferns which were a gift from his yard and are now multiplying themselves.


As promised/threatened, I am posting a picture of (only) part my growing family as well.


Kevin, Vera, Jake, and Emma- the future looks bright and happy, doesn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Margje,

    Om van het gras af te komen kun je er tegels in leggen. Onderhoudsvriendelijk noemen ze dat hier. Maar die tegels moeten schoon gehouden worden etc. Dus tuin betekent gewoon dat je werkt houdt. Uitkijken naar een condo dan maar ?
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha RJ, geen condo voor mij hoor. De oplossing ligt wat mij betreft in een afgelegen stuk land, ergens in de bergen denk ik zo, waar je niet hoeft te maaien of tegels spuiten om het voor het oog van Neerland's volk (of Amerika's volk) netjes te houden...of wat Suzanne Ruijters doet, wilde bloemen weitje...maarjah, dat kan hier niet heh, krijg je de buurt aan je deur. Ookal is Robert dan president van die buurt.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I guess just for clarification- Vera and Kevin are dating but Jake and Emma are not- Jake is a family friend who is practically family.

    ReplyDelete