Monday, April 22, 2013

"I went to the doctor and the doctor said...

boy (girl), your body is a temple, not a toy!"

("fill up this here paper cup and give it to the nurse"- lyrics from a Loudon Wainwright song).



Well, that is not exactly what she said. But without asking any specific questions I was told to lose a specific amount of weight within a four month period. Or if I wanted to take it slow make it six. It really sounded like an unhealthy proposal to me. An insurmountable mountain.

She gave me a website that she said was really helpful (and free) to track my progress. I checked it out- and as expected, it is mainly for people who don't actually cook or bake from scratch. Or make their own granola.



Of course I know I could do without those pounds circling my waist. I contemplate this on a daily basis. And I am definitely trying to make the recommended healthy lifestyle changes. But starving myself was not in the plan really. Calorie counting is not my thing. Exercising? I like walking. But you have to do a lot of it apparently to make any kind of impact at all.


I have never been skinny, I have struggled with this as long as I can remember. The only two times I lost weight : one, when I was carrying my girls, I gained less than what they were weighing and remained thin for at least a year afterwards; two, when my dad died.  I don't want to repeat either one of these life events.

Nevertheless- I shall make an attempt. Will keep you updated on occasion.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck. Apparently I need more motivation myself! If you are looking for a 'buddy' let me know - might be what I need too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sterkte daarmee. Ik heb nooit structurele gewichtsproblemen gehad (behalve afvallen tijdens zwangerschap, net als jij en na de geboorte aankomen alsof ik zwanger was O_O) maar hoor van anderen altijd dat t een zwaar en moeilijk traject is. Misschien kan Robert meedoen? En een combi van anders eten en bewegen (gezellig wandelen met z'n 2-en) dan maar. Gelukkig wordt t mooier weer. n crash dieet lijkt mij altijd wat onzinnig en uithongeren werkt ook niet. Met een goeie berg groenten vul je je maag een heel eind. Succes met het vinden van de juiste manier voor jezelf!
    Edith

    ReplyDelete