Sunday, November 11, 2012

old fashioned

While working on our dinner pizza tonight, I realized that I like different times of day for different reasons just like the changing seasons. I love working in front of the open window with the late afternoon light slanting in at a certain angle in the spring, I love the breeze in the fall and now the darkness closing in, giving the kitchen a cozy feeling.


This morning I wasn't worth much because I had my stomach all in a knot until Mila finally came home after her nightly romp - who knows where she hangs out and/or has adventures- she tries to tell me a whole lot when she runs inside and stops to hug my legs on her way to the dry food, but I don't speak much 'cat'.


Things picked up after her reappearance and I harvested, washed, and oven-dried rosemary and sage. The weather report says it will be wintry tomorrow, and I spoke to my friend in Minnesota who confirmed that she was chilled to the bone after walking her dog. Our weather usually arrives from up thereabouts, so...


I do take pleasure in harvesting some of my own herbs, but I have not tried my hand at other preservation methods such as canning. Once upon a time I used to make a lot more things from scratch on a regular basis: yogurt, ice cream, hearty pie crusts, hummus, to name a few.


Old-fashioned or not? I knit, I quilt, bake bread, and cook a meal from scratch most nights. But I am a very unmotivated house keeper. Creating, not cleaning. And, I sometimes channel my great-grandmother when I encourage my family to eat 'just a little bit' more to fatten them up some. On top of that, I have noticed a recent tendency to bring up memories. My eyes have complied with their age and don't cooperate with me without glasses to read, even the not-so-fine print. I find this amusing until I can't find those darn glasses.


Well. Back to my ironing then! Thankfully, with a modern cordless steam iron.

2 comments:

  1. Is it old-fashioned or having eye for the small things in life and being closer to nature? Listening to your feelings in stead of rationalizing things and putting your ego first. To me it sounds good, it sounds like you being yourself, like the right track!
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Edith, thank you, you make me smile!

    ReplyDelete