Monday, November 12, 2012

cozy

As promised, today was cold and wet. We even had our first snow of the season! Not much to look at on the ground, but beautiful in the air.

Of course that immediately put me in the mood for all kinds of foods such as chunky vegetable stew and speculaas. So I made focaccia to go with the barley soup that was still in the refrigerator and even though it is not December yet, I did make speculaas. The girls could hardly wait for it to cool down enough to eat.


Gus thought that the weather was perfect for some major cuddling, and I had a good time hanging with the kittens and my girls. Some time between jobs is not all that bad!


3 comments:

  1. That's right, you enjoy that cozy time at home! And by the way, could you share that speculaas recipe with us? I would love to make some! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the speculaas is an 'age-old' recipe from my former boyfriend...It makes crispy speculaas, not the softer filled stuff. I used to make a baking 'sheet' full, and I still do but now it is thinner because the baking sheet is larger!

    500 gr bloem (I use white whole wheat but you can use all purpose)
    350 gr butter
    225 gr brown sugar

    1 tbsp cinnamon
    to taste (but don't skimp) nutmeg, cloves, pepper, anise (I rub two anijsblokjes together to pulverize)

    325F oven

    Mix well and either make cookies (about 12 minutes) or a baking sheet (25-30 min), depending on the thickness.

    To dress it up you can press half almonds in the dough. I can ask my mom for a recipe if you would like to make filled with almond paste.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha - just came on to ask for the recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete