Saturday, September 8, 2012

to dream, perchance to ... move ?

Although I may be just a tad young to already know this, I can say with 99% certainty that one thing I am not wanting to do is retire in Florida. This morning my love and I walked to a moving sale in our neighborhood (not that we need more stuff). The sellers were happy to talk about their move down south. Another neighbor we met explained that they were going to move as well, but to a place with lower humidity- my wish exactly!  And for myself I'd like to add mountains, evergreen forests, rocky hiking paths, all of this preferably close to the ocean.


My mom is going to have to to move twice, because my childhood home is going to be renovated by the housing agency. The picture shows my little brother (ahem) in the middle, with two friends who were very nice to agree to help tear my old attic bedroom down...since my dad build it himself, it had to go. I am having a hard time describing my emotions about that...I loved that cozy room.

See that window behind my little brother? That is the one he climbed out of and waved from when he was three years old, giving my mom and me our first grey hairs. We were in the yard below, hanging laundry.

this is the window, although years ago it had bars and a side-opening 
My little brother is going to move too, to a bigger house with a large space in the back for little L to run around and enjoy.

It is no secret that I have been wanting to move for years.We almost moved at least twice, but obviously didn't yet. And every now and then things happen and I start dreaming again, perchance to move to....Europe? Closer to family? Family is one reason, and frankly, the healthcare system in the US is another. (yes and I do work in a hospital).

R's family

my family...even the youngest one was there, but not born yet
But on a day like today, I enjoy where we are- this house, that still feels to me like a beloved old comfortable corduroy jacket, the wooded lot with the sounds of crickets and tree frogs and the breeze through the kitchen window when I mix up the pizza dough. Seeing Lucy and Mila chase each other and squirrels.



Fresh pictures from the yard this morning...it is weekend so I finally got a chance to walkabout!

4 comments:

  1. I love the photos you took! What is that thriving on the wood? I also really like the pic of your family with the baby up front - everyone looks so happy! So, where would you move if it was a must?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, that growth on the wood is some kind of fungus...it was very wet for a couple days et voila...it's all gone now. Where would I move if it was a must? Well, lots of places....Canada, Great Britain, many countries on Europe....also, within the US, but, like I said, the healthcare system and it's uncertain future still worries me very much. How about you Julie, are you going to spend your days happy till the end of time in CO?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a big family! wonderful to meet all together! our familys are "spread" (don't know if this is the correct word??) all over europe. so it is really difficult to get all of them together.
    a friend is married to an us-citizen and they often are thinking of moving to the us, but since they have a baby they are certain to stay in europe. because of health system (and schools/universities... ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, how nice to hear from you! Yes, our close family lives within driving distance of each other, except for us of course. I have to say that there are positive things about the education here, at least where we live, but definitely not so much about healthcare.

    Culturally, I am struggling too at times. But there is probably no place that is perfect. Enjoy your berg und familie!

    ReplyDelete