Sunday, July 19, 2015

parenting

Technically (one of Emma's favorite words growing up) we are 'done', my love and I, with the raising part of parenting. Our children are adults (and 'grand-adults' instead of grand-children, like Vera said). This past weekend we enjoyed the company of our awesome threesome in the big city.


And while marveling at how indeed grown-up they are and act, I felt that as with many things, I never did appreciate how fast time goes and that you can't undo or edit the past, you can't insert or adjust the tone, take back, give more.


I know I was far from the model parent I wished I was- often too stressed over things that really should not have mattered, too often I strayed from my ideals because of what other people thought or what I thought they would think (if you follow). Did I teach the kids all I should have? Is it too late to impart some wisdom? Of course, they have to figure things out for themselves and that is always the best way to learn- but still.



We attempted to partake in two of the many events that were 'going on' in the city, and both times it literally rained on our parade- but really that did not matter and we had a great time anyway.



We walked and talked, discussed, joked, teased, and sat down to do more of that while enjoying big city amenities.





We talked about memories and more about the future. We visited Thijs's job site. We missed out on visiting Vera's job/school/exhibit site because we ran out of time.







In the end, I hope they did hear me when I told them that I love them, unconditionally- which means, my dears, that we don't always have to agree on life choices or ideas, and that we can tell each other this without it affecting that love, and that, in turn, means that I only wish for you to be true to yourself as much as you can. Even if I did not exactly always model that.

No comments:

Post a Comment