Sunday, April 13, 2014

letting my hair down

Although it mostly ends up in a bun anyway, even in the weekend. But it is the fact that I can, let it down I mean. After an emotional roller-coaster of a week. Someone asked me recently "what do you like to do when you are not working?" Answer "walk around in jeans and t-shirt".


Not the best lighting, but this is a detail of Vera's piece at the 'art bash'. Which we went to go see yesterday. Her work was informed/inspired by the expensive and at times difficult way to citizenship. Roses with thorns. The paperwork shredded. Her fingerprint with the words of the oath written in.



We met Vera's lovely friend Andrea and admired her piece. Interestingly informed by similar experiences and cultural relationship/tension between home country and the USA. Andrea's work is called 'you may pass' (translated from Spanish).


Jake had a triptych in the show, however it was not displayed correctly and thus I will not post a picture of his work. As always it was great to hang out in the big city with one of my two favorite girls.


There was good news all around with 'the kids'. Emma secured an apartment. Vera had her work on display plus was nominated for a scholarship. Thijs accepted a paid internship for the summer. Definite happy highlights of the week.


Soul enriching experiences of a different kind came through my job. I can't be specific. Suffice it to say that I feel privileged to do the work I do, and supported  by co-workers who were checking in on me after a harrowing and emotionally draining ER shift.



Today the air and even the wind feel warm, soothing. Renewal in the yard. Just what I need to let my hair down.



2 comments:

  1. Hope the next week allows for more enjoyment. The art pieces look terrific. Congrats to the kids. Snowing in CO toda, so I hope it's not coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snowing, really? We will have quite the dip in temps tomorrow night...
    In a way, I did enjoy my week- I know it may sound twisted. My work is often draining but at the same time rewarding.
    I enjoyed the pictures of prom festivities!!

    ReplyDelete