Saturday, January 25, 2014

thar she blows

Looks innocent enough doesn't it?- is in fact not quite that.


As soon as the snow is showing signs of becoming a dirty mush, there comes a beautiful new layer to cover it up. Last night we received a thin blanket and today the temperatures were not even that bad- almost balmy hovering around freezing. If not for the wind, it would have been a nice day to be out.


As it was, it was rather blustery, 'raining' branches and making snow drifts. Some very close to home. Thus we stayed in for most of the time. And when the wind died down, temperatures dropped.


Perfect for some knitting and puttering! I am continuing my adventures with bread baking (with my new book), though in fact I am not at the point of baking yet because it takes a long time and lots of discarding the majority of the starter and then 'feeding' it (which I find kind of wasteful and am having some trouble with that part). Meanwhile, I thought I just bake some oldies-but-goodies then.



Tuscan peasant bread with olives
The cats are having a bad case of cabin fever. We see all kinds of cat-behavior that is new to us- cats hanging in the curtains (shower curtain even) and fighting for instance. They are desperate to go out but return within five minutes, complaining loudly to us like we have personally created the cold mess.

not much else to do...
Even deeper arctic temperatures are on their way, so I got out the flannel bedding. Nothing like flannel in winter, is my motto. Well, one of my mottoes. I'm very very thankful for our warm home and enough to eat, drink, and bake, and my love and the cats to keep each other company.

Homer on flannel


3 comments:

  1. Mmm - that bread looks so good I can smell it! Snow is melting here, in the 60's today, but we're in for snow agin next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that bread looks amazing!!! Wat is dat voor een brood-bak-mand-achtig ding???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjan, that is called a banneton basket- I'm actually not sure why they are so special, but that's what was recommended for proofing the bread. I did not purchase the liner but am using some flour sacks (looks like diapers to me actually). The recipe for the bread is in Beth Hensperger's 'bread for all seasons'. It is not difficult at all. Can email it to you if you want. And you do not really need the banneton.

      Delete