Saturday, July 13, 2013

a week in the life of a social worker...

There are two books in the series 'Days in the life of a social worker', and I read the first one when starting my 'american degree'. I wonder how I would read them now, I bet with a very different focus. Stories versus reality-


 In spite of continuous changes and difficult to swallow news, the daily roller coaster just keeps rolling at work. I can't tell you any details - just that, at the end of the day (which seems always a perfect time for major crisis to erupt) I feel that the moments that I have a sense that I am making a difference are outweighing the frustration of not being able to 'fix' things. Over the course of a week I meet many wonderful families and get to work with the most dedicated team members, but also with the less positive variants of each.


Sometimes people ask me what I actually do. I tell them 'it varies' and describe the wide range of possible services that are neatly tucked into my job description as 'psycho-social interventions'.

I had dinner with a group of women whom I did not know, and it was great fun. The young adults whom I apparently gave birth to long ago (at times I have difficulty connecting the 'all grown up' with the baby I remember) and who are now independently roaming the country are keeping in touch by texting as a sign of the times (even though the spell check on my laptop does not recognize the word texting!). My love and I try to adjust the grocery volumes accordingly.


I am working full time at the moment. And enjoying it and thus my evenings and weekends with my loves (human and feline) all the more. The chores still don't fit into those off-times, at least, not when I am taking time for my favorite things.


I went to the library today, one of my very favorite activities (second in line to actually reading the books). I bring home as much as I can fit in my (very spacious) bag and way more than I can read. I love driving with the moon roof and windows open. (yes, it would be better if I could actually bicycle there and back again, however, this is just too perilous an undertaking over here).



I spent some time in the yard, and some time uncovering the couches from cat hair- Right now Charlie is undoing this effort single-body-dly.


Gus kept us company on this most gorgeous day. Mila made an appearance (she just comes home whenever she pleases it seems) and Homer misses his girls so he spends his nights plastered to my love's side. Yeah, this could have been the week in a life of anyone perhaps. Signing off now, I've got a tower of books waiting for me.

1 comment: