Saturday, December 29, 2012

transitions

This winter break seems to be practice in the upcoming and ongoing transitions in our family.




Thijs (my son- this is an old and proper Dutch name) is home, yet independently operating as suits his age. I am still mothering him of course, but feel well aware that he is making his own decisions about whether to take my advice or not (such as: please bring plenty of snacks and water for your track to the southern and very snowy part of the state). 


Yesterday we brought Vera and Kevin to the airport for their trip to LA to enjoy a photography meet. And the difference in weather and vegetation is not the transition I am talking about- this is a first-time trip in many ways. For instance, the girls will ring in the New Year thousands of miles apart from each other in different time zones.

from the internet


Also yesterday, we took a walk around the neighborhood where Vera, Kevin, and Jake are hoping to rent an apartment together next year. Of course there was lot of talk about which school and especially how much scholarship, the latter being a huge deciding factor in their choice. Emma may or may not choose to join the others but most likely she will follow her dreams to a different city.

my goddess-of-the-garden wearing a snow crown
And all this is continuously forcing me to look that empty-nest idea square in the eye. It is an enormously ambivalent feeling. I am very much in awe of my young adult children- and enjoy them and their friends livening up our home. I am also looking forward to the time my love and I will get to spend together. And of course the times when my growing family will be joining us home again!


No comments:

Post a Comment