Sunday, October 7, 2012

sage

I harvested some sage tonight when I went outside to enjoy the cold air- the heating gives me headaches. After dinner I washed it (I hand wash all herbs, I'm very particular) and now it is slow drying in the oven. For the holidays, I will bake a sage/hazelnut bread (if I can find hazelnuts that is).


Hopefully I can harvest some rosemary as well this coming week. Hmm, rosemary baguette...rosemary foccacia...

I am not really active in the garden/yard, I like things to just grow and that's that- but my love is more industrious than I am. He was chopping wood earlier in the day, while I was multi-tasking inside.

Obviously, I love to read all the inspiring blogs listed in the side bar, but I just want to highlight two of them- only today it occurred to me that they are in a way very similar.  http://www.kreativberg.com/ and  http://theknittygrittyhomestead.blogspot.com/  I admire the writing and the honesty of these bloggers about the highs and lows of raising young children. Both live a live quite close to nature. One writes in English and the other in German. Perhaps I like to read them because I would have liked the sort of life that they chose- although I am happy, I don't always feel that I belong where I am.


Here's what I made today- Engardiner Nuss Torte. There really is very little redeeming quality to this deliciousness, apart maybe from the nuts- it is whole wheat flour but with sugar, butter, and cream...Mmmm.

Tomorrow morning, another busy week will begin. I am looking forward to it! Lucy may start it off with her favorite early morning activity: ripping up the newspaper.


2 comments:

  1. Engadiner Nuss Torte, I really love that! Brings back memories of Val Sinestra (http://www.sinestra.ch/) and Zuort

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a lazier harvester: I 'pruned' out some sage branches and hung the whole branch to air-dry in the garage! Is the Engadiner recipe on the German site? Need a new one to try for a pie party (sweet or savory) this weekend - or do you have any other favorites?

    ReplyDelete